Event: Nationwide political protests are planned from Tuesday, June 25, 2019. This could result in possible disturbances, demonstrations, and actions that result in violence or other disruptions across Nepal. On May 26, 2019, a Biplav initiated bandh resulted in numerous incidents of arson and explosions, some of which detonated in Kathmandu resulting in fatalities. The number of events was an increase over previous Biplav bandhs, and it is possible that explosives could be used to support the bandh on June 25 and potentially target Government of Nepal buildings. It is unknown at this time how effective the bandh will be in Kathmandu. Even if the bandh is not effective within the Kathmandu Valley, it could still be enforced outside of the Valley. The Embassy encourages American citizens to avoid areas of demonstrations, avoid unnecessary visits to government buildings, and exercise caution in the vicinity of any large gatherings or protests. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and quickly escalate into violence.
The Embassy is expected to conduct normal operations on June 25.
Actions to Take:
- Keep a low profile.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Do not engage in argumentative or combative behavior if challenged or told that you cannot go to access a certain area.
- Monitor local news stations for updates.
- Maintain a high level of vigilance.
- Take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
- Use good judgment, common sense, and patience when driving. Do not attempt to drive through any crowd that you might encounter.
- Given the potential for explosive devices, do not approach suspicious packages. Clear the area and immediately report them to the police.
- If you happen upon a bomb disposal operation, do not stop and watch even if you are outside the cordoned off area. Immediately vacate the area.
- U.S.U.S. Embassy Kathmandu
Telephone: +(977)(1) 423-4000 or 400-7200
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(977)(1) 400-7266,400-7269
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Nepal Country Information
- Enroll in Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter
- Nepal Tourist Police Emergency Number: 1144