Location: All districts in Nepal in which by-elections are being conducted
The Regional Security Office of U.S. Embassy Kathmandu has been made aware of the potential for disruptive activities in Sunsari district of Nepal during the upcoming elections scheduled for November 30, 2019. U.S. Embassy personnel are restricted from traveling within Sunsari district for the duration of by-election activities from November 29 to December 01.
Additionally, all U.S. Embassy personnel are restricted from traveling before 0800 hours from November 29 to December 01 within all other districts currently participating in by-elections.
All individuals and organizations are encouraged to exercise caution when engaged in activities or operations in and around all districts in which by-elections are being held. Individuals and organizations should be vigilant when securing property and equipment after hours. Should any individual or organization notice a suspicious item or indications of tampering, they are encouraged to notify their nearest Nepal Police facility.
Actions to Take:
- Keep a low profile.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Do not engage in argumentative or combative behavior if challenged or told that you cannot go to
access a certain area.
- Monitor local news stations for updates.
- Maintain a high level of vigilance.
- Take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
- Use good judgment, common sense, and patience when driving. Do not attempt to drive through any crowd that you might encounter.
- Given the potential for explosive devices, do not approach suspicious packages. Clear the area and immediately report them to the police.
- If you happen upon a bomb disposal operation, do not stop and watch even if you are outside the cordoned off area. Immediately vacate the area.