Nepal COVID-19 Information Page
Government Devolves Authority to Impose Local Lockdowns: On August 10 the Government of Nepal announced the decision to allow district and sub-district level officials to implement localized lockdowns. Although many restaurants and hotels are now open, some establishments, such as cinemas, salons, and spas are still closed. Trekking and mountaineering are also permitted, according to an earlier announcement. The start of long distant public transport has been postponed by two weeks from August 17 to August 31. On August 5, the government announced a re-imposition of the odd-even system of vehicle movement based on the last number of the vehicle’s license plate. (Note: This system is based on the Nepali calendar, but there is odd/even concurrence between the Nepali calendar and the Gregorian calendar at least through the end of August.)
Lifting of Flight Suspension Deferred: The government announced August 10 that the suspension of international and domestic flight service would be extended to August 31, two weeks beyond the previously announced August 17 resumption of commercial service. Additional information may be available through the Civil Aviation Authority of Nepal at http://caanepal.gov.np/.
Nepal Immigration Resumes Services: The Nepal Department of Immigration (DoI) in Kalikasthan, Kathmandu resumed services from Monday, June 15, 2020. All visa holders requiring any visa-related services should consult DoI for information about visa matters. (http://www.nepalimmigration.gov.np/)
Embassy Services: Routine consular services are still suspended until further notice. The Embassy has implemented U.S. and international health guidelines regarding the opening of facilities. In case of emergency, please reach us through the main Embassy number at 01-423-4000 during business hours, Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. After hours access to a duty officer for emergencies is provided through the Embassy recorded message at the same number. Alternatively, please write the consular section with your urgent request at email@example.com.
Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP): The Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) is a free service to allow U.S. citizens and nationals traveling and living abroad to enroll their trip with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate. The U.S. Embassy in Kathmandu urges all U.S. citizens abroad to register in STEP (https://step.state.gov/) in order to receive all messages sent from the Embassy to registered U.S. citizens in Nepal.
How the U.S. Department of State May Help in an Emergency: The safety and security of U.S. citizens overseas is one of our top priorities. To keep you informed, we provide security updates on travel.state.gov and embassy and consulate websites, and send out Alerts when you enroll in our free Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). For more information, please refer to: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/emergencies/what-state-dept-can-cant-do-crisis.html
Travel Related Links:
- Visit the Customs and Border Protection’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- CDC page on COVID-19
- https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Nepal.html for Nepal Country Information and Travel Advisory page.
Nepal Country-Specific Information: For statistics about COVID-19 in Nepal, please find updates at https://covid19.ndrrma.gov.np/.
- Border Crossings: All land ports of entry into Nepal remain closed until 2359 hours on August 16.
- Quarantine Information:
- All newly arrived travelers must undergo a mandatory 14-day quarantine.
- Suspected cases already in country will also be quarantined for 14 days.
- Local Resources:
- Nepal Ministry of Health and Population at https://heoc.mohp.gov.np/recent_alert/update-on-novel-corona-virus-2019_ncov/ or Facebook at com/HEOC
- Nepal Ministry of Health and Population COVID-19 Hotline Local Telephone Numbers: 9851255839; 9851255837; 9851255834 from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Infectious Disease Hospital (Teku) Hospital at firstname.lastname@example.org and the National Health Public Health Laboratory at email@example.com for patient testing and quarantine.
- Tribhuvan International Airport, Kathmandu: https://www.tiairport.com.np/
- Civil Aviation Authority of Nepal’s published list of international departures from Nepal: http://caanepal.gov.np/aerodromes/tribhuwan-international-airport
Updated on August 11, 2020.