Demonstration Alert – Political Protest in Kathmandu District, Nepal
U. S. Embassy Kathmandu, Nepal (December 4, 2020)
Location: Maitighar Mandala Area, Kathmandu District, Nepal
Event: The Regional Security Office of U.S. Embassy Kathmandu has been made aware of a large political protest of more than several thousand people planned in Maitighar Mandala in Kathmandu at 11:00 a.m. on Saturday, December 5. There is a significant potential for civil disorder and conflict between protestors and Government of Nepal security forces both within the immediate area of Maitighar Mandala and the rest of Kathmandu. There is also a significant potential for sudden road closures which could disrupt movements throughout the city.
All individuals and organizations are strongly advised to avoid Maitighar Mandala in Kathmandu and surrounding areas this weekend. You should make every effort to remain in your residence this weekend. However, should you find yourself in a large crowd or unexpected protest, you should attempt to depart the area immediately. If you are unable to leave this area during the protest, please immediately find a safe place to shelter. Crowds such as this one can be highly dynamic and shift direction with little notice.
You are encouraged to exercise caution when engaged in activities or operations in and around this area, the northern half of Kathmanduand Lalitpur. Individuals and organizations should be vigilant when securing property and equipment after hours. Should any individual or organization notice a suspicious item or indications of tampering, they are encouraged to notify their nearest Nepal Police office.
Actions to Take:
- Keep a low profile.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Do not engage in argumentative or combative behavior if challenged or told that you cannot go to access a certain area.
- Monitor local news stations for updates.
- Maintain a high level of vigilance.
- Take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
- Use good judgment, common sense, and patience when driving. Do not attempt to drive through any crowd that you might encounter.
- Given the potential for explosive devices, do not approach suspicious packages. Clear the area and immediately report them to the police.
- If you happen upon a bomb disposal operation, do not stop and watch even if you are outside the cordoned off area. Immediately vacate the area.
- U.S. Embassy Kathmandu
Telephone: +(977)(1) 423-4000 or 400-7200
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(977)(1) 400-7266,400-7269
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Nepal Country Information
- Enroll in Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter
- Nepal Tourist Police Emergency Number: 1144