Demonstration Alert – Political Protest in Kathmandu District, Nepal
U. S. Embassy Kathmandu, Nepal (December 13, 2020)
Location: Santibatika (Peace Garden) located near Ratna Park, Kathmandu District, Nepal
Event: Nepal Police confirm that a large political protest of approximately 5,000 people will rally at Santibatika (Peace Garden) located near Ratna Park in central Kathmandu on Monday, December 14, from 1200 hours to 1600 hours. While likely to be peaceful, traffic will be disrupted in the surrounding areas and there are opportunities for confrontation with Nepal Police.
All individuals and organizations are strongly advised to avoid Santibatika (Peace Garden) located near Ratna Park in central Kathmandu and surrounding areas. Should you find yourself in a large crowd or unexpected protest, you should attempt to depart the area immediately. If you are unable to leave this area during the protest, please immediately find a safe place to shelter. Crowds such as this one can be highly dynamic and shift direction with little notice.
You are encouraged to exercise caution when engaged in activities or operations in and around this area. Individuals and organizations should be vigilant when securing property and equipment after hours. Should any individual or organization notice a suspicious item or indications of tampering, they are encouraged to notify their nearest Nepal Police office.
Actions to Take:
- Keep a low profile.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Do not engage in argumentative or combative behavior if challenged or told that you cannot go to access a certain area.
- Monitor local news stations for updates.
- Maintain a high level of vigilance.
- Take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
- Use good judgment, common sense, and patience when driving. Do not attempt to drive through any crowd that you might encounter.
- Given the potential for explosive devices, do not approach suspicious packages. Clear the area and immediately report them to the police.
- If you happen upon a bomb disposal operation, do not stop and watch even if you are outside the cordoned off area. Immediately vacate the area.
- U.S. Embassy Kathmandu
Telephone: +(977)(1) 423-4000 or 400-7200
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(977)(1) 400-7266,400-7269
- State Department – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Nepal Country Information
- Enroll in Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter
- Nepal Tourist Police Emergency Number: 1144