The United States Embassy is aware of a large crowd moving up Lazimpat and potentially through the Chundevi area heading towards the U.S. Embassy on Maharajgunj. Please avoid this area.
The Embassy advises that if you are already in this area, please remain in place in your home or another secure location.
In addition, the Embassy encourages American citizens to avoid areas of demonstrations, avoid unnecessary visits to government buildings, and exercise caution in the vicinity of any large gatherings or protests. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and quickly escalate into violence.
Actions to Take:
- Keep a low profile.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Do not engage in argumentative or combative behavior if challenged or told that you cannot go to access a certain area.
- Monitor local news stations for updates.
- Maintain a high level of vigilance.
- Take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
- Use good judgment, common sense, and patience when driving. Do not attempt to drive through any crowd that you might encounter.
- Given the potential for explosive devices, do not approach suspicious packages. Clear the area and immediately report them to the police.
- If you happen upon a bomb disposal operation, do not stop and watch even if you are outside the cordoned off area. Immediately vacate the area.
- U.S. Embassy Kathmandu
Telephone: +(977)(1) 423-4000 or 400-7200
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(977)(1) 400-7266,400-7269