May 17, 2020
Location: Nepal Countrywide
Event: COVID-19 Response
The Embassy has been monitoring developing events in several locations around Kathmandu Valley throughout the day. There have been reports of unofficial community barricades in the communities of Chandragiri, Tokha, Duwakot, Sallaghari, Madhyapur Thimi, and within the area around the Teaching Hospital. The Embassy has experienced official Embassy vehicles encountering and being turned away at informal checkpoints. There are concerns that these barricades potentially pose an undue risk to the U.S. citizen community. Additional barricades and checkpoints may be established throughout other communities and neighborhoods in Kathmandu in the coming days. During this period of heightened anxiety, these checkpoints may lead to misunderstandings, opportunistic crime, and a heightened risk of vigilante violence. The Embassy urges U.S. citizens to remain sheltered in place and to avoid any of these community barricades.
For U.S. citizens who have learned that they are confirmed on the Qatar Airways flight tentatively scheduled for Sunday, May 24, but who are currently residing outside the Kathmandu Valley, please contact the consular section by email at email@example.com to notify us as soon as possible of the town and district in which you are residing.
Actions to Take:
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website for travel restrictions to the U.S.
- Consult the CDC website, for the most up-to-date information regarding enhanced screening procedures.
- Consult the Government of Nepal’s Ministry of Health and Population website for the latest updates on the health situation in Nepal.
- Consult the Government of Nepal’s Immigration Department website for the latest updates about immigration restrictions in Nepal.
- Consult the U.S. Embassy website for updates on Nepal-specific COVID-19 information, entry to and exit from Nepal, quarantine information, and for other local resource contact information.
- U.S. Embassy Kathmandu, Maharajgunj, Kathmandu, Nepal
- Telephone: +(977)(1) 423-4000 or 400-7200
- Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(977)(1) 400-7266,400-7269
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- State Department – Consular Affairs: 1-888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-4444
- Nepal Country Information
- Enroll in Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter