Location: Nepal Countrywide
Event: COVID-19 Response
On August 18, the Government of Nepal announced a renewal of the Kathmandu lockdown implemented as a public health measure to help slow the spread of COVID-19. Restrictions will remain in place from midnight tonight until at least midnight the night of August 26. The Embassy assesses that these restrictions could be extended further into the future past August 26. U.S. citizens are reminded to continue exercising a heightened level of caution and to remain inside their residences as much as possible. While the Government of Nepal has made several broad exceptions to the lockdown (to include the movement of individuals seeking food, medicine, and other items important to life safety), the public health goal of this lock down is to slow and eventually stop the spread of COVID-19 by minimizing contact between individuals. The disease does not distinguish between Nepalis and foreigners. Daily trips to the grocery store or the pharmacy, while permitted under the Government of Nepal’s exceptions, is a daily opportunity to expose yourself and your family to the virus.
U.S. citizens are advised to take the following precautions:
- Remain in your residence as much as possible
- If working, utilize telework capabilities as available to conduct required work
- Stock up on necessities – make every trip to the store count and try to limit your trips to the minimum required
- Wear a mask and exercise proper social distancing at all times
- Minimize your risk by staying alert, using sound judgment, and avoiding risky areas and situations
Other Actions to Take:
- Visit the Customs and Border Protection website for travel restrictions to the U.S.
- Consult the CDC website, for the most up-to-date information regarding enhanced screening procedures.
- Consult the Government of Nepal’s Ministry of Health and Population website for the latest updates on the health situation in Nepal.
- Consult the Government of Nepal’s Immigration Department website for the latest updates about immigration restrictions in Nepal.
- Consult the U.S. Embassy website for updates on Nepal-specific COVID-19 information, entry to and exit from Nepal, quarantine information, and for other local resource contact information.
- U.S. Embassy Kathmandu, Maharajgunj, Kathmandu, Nepal
- Telephone: +(977)(1) 423-4000 or 400-7200
- Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(977)(1) 400-7266,400-7269
- Email: email@example.com
- State Department – Consular Affairs: 1-888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-4444
- Nepal Country Information
- Enroll in Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter