Location: Nepal Countrywide
Event: COVID-19 Response
Good day to all. As a reminder, all U.S. citizens still in Nepal should shelter in place, observing Government of Nepal announcements and regulations regarding staying at home at least until such time as the countrywide lockdown is lifted and commercial flight service to and from Nepal resumes.
The Government of Nepal has announced that the lockdown will continue until at least the evening of Wednesday, April 15, and the flight suspension for international flights will be in place until at least the evening of Thursday, April 30.
In recent days, the Embassy has received inquiries from U.S. citizens and permanent residents seeking to return to the U.S. who were not able to participate in either of the earlier repatriation flights arranged by the U.S. government. At this time, the demand for additional support of this kind is small, so there is currently not the volume to support another chartered repatriation flight to the U.S. However, we continue to monitor flights arranged by other diplomatic missions and potential seat availability for U.S. citizens on those flights. We are aware of possible availability through London of a flight the second half of next week. Further details are not available at this time. Additionally, the Canadian High Commission based in New Delhi is in the process of arranging a flight for this weekend from Kathmandu. You may contact the Canadian High Commission directly to register your interest at email@example.com.
As these messages are the primary means of official communication from the U.S. Embassy to the U.S. citizen public in Nepal, we encourage all U.S. citizens currently present in Nepal to register with the Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP, link below).
Actions to Take:
- For additional general information about repatriation charter flights, see https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/emergencies/for-evacuated-citizens.html
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website for travel restrictions to the U.S.
- Consult the CDC website, for the most up-to-date information regarding enhanced screening procedures.
- Consult the Government of Nepal’s Ministry of Health and Population website for the latest updates on the health situation in Nepal.
- Consult the Government of Nepal’s Immigration Department website for the latest updates about immigration restrictions in Nepal.
- Consult the U.S. Embassy website for updates on Nepal-specific COVID-19 information, entry to and exit from Nepal, quarantine information, and for other local resource contact information.
- U.S. Embassy Kathmandu, Maharajgunj, Kathmandu, Nepal
- Telephone: +(977)(1) 423-4000 or 400-7200
- Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(977)(1) 400-7266,400-7269
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- State Department – Consular Affairs: 1-888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-4444
- Nepal Country Information
- Enroll in Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter