Location: Nepal Countrywide
Event: COVID-19 Response
As of today, commercial international flight service has been suspended from Tribhuvan International Airport with the exception of two flights per week to New Delhi, India. The lockdown is scheduled to last through Friday, May 14, but may be extended to address changing conditions. However, the Government of Nepal has indicated willingness to consider airlines offering charter flight options sometime during the lockdown period for those needing to exit Nepal. At the present time, we are not aware of any charter flights scheduled, but as soon as the U.S. Embassy receives details of future flights, we will post updates to our website and release contact information to make reservations for these flights.
The U.S. Embassy is not directly organizing a U.S. Government-facilitated repatriation flight at this time.
For those who are interested in departing Nepal, we ask that you fill out the online form found at the link below. This will help us better understand who wishes to depart, so we can distribute information as soon as we know when a flight becomes available.
Online form: https://bit.ly/3eUPFC0
Furthermore, the Nepal Ministry of Tourism has created a website to assist travelers with COVID information, which includes a travel locator form to be filled out by travelers, especially those requiring assistance in returning to Kathmandu. https://www.welcomenepal.com/plan-your-trip/covid-19.html
The U.S. Embassy will remain closed for routine U.S. citizen services and for all visa services for the duration of the lockdown. All U.S. citizen services appointments will be rescheduled. In the event of an immediate need for service or an emergency, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request an emergency appointment or call 01 423 4000. The Embassy will reopen U.S. citizen services appointments after the lockdown is lifted.
If the parameters of the lockdown change in Nepal, we will update our COVID-19 Information page with the latest information once we receive an official announcement from the Government of Nepal.
Actions to Take:
- Enroll in the Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates. \
- Consult the CDC website, for the most up-to-date information regarding enhanced screening procedures.
- Consult the Government of Nepal’s Ministry of Health and Population website at https://heoc.mohp.gov.np/update-on-novel-corona-virus-2019_ncov/ for the latest updates on the health situation in Nepal.
- Consult the Government of Nepal’s Immigration Department website at http://www.nepalimmigration.gov.np/ for the latest updates about immigration restrictions in Nepal.
- Consult the U.S. Embassy website at https://np.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/ for updates on Nepal-specific COVID-19 information, entry to and exit from Nepal, quarantine information, and for other local resource contact information.
- Always wear your mask and practice social distancing.
- U.S. Embassy Kathmandu, Maharajgunj, Kathmandu, Nepal
- Telephone: +(977)(1) 423-4000 or 400-7200
- Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(977)(1) 400-7266,400-7269
- Email: email@example.com
- State Department Consular Affairs: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Nepal Country Information
- Enroll in Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter