An official website of the United States government

Lost, Stolen, or Mutilated Passport Replacement
August 14, 2023

If your U.S. passport has been lost or stolen, you should immediately report it at the nearest local police station. If you think you know where your passport was lost or stolen (in a hotel, airport, bus station, etc.), you should report the loss there, as well. After you have filed the report, you must make an appointment  with the U.S. Embassy’s Consular Section during Passport Services hours to apply for your replacement passport. Because passports are printed in the United States, it will take two to three weeks for your new passport to arrive.

Bring following documents to replace your lost/stolen passport:

  • Completed but unsigned DS-11  passport application (also available at the Embassy);
  • Completed but unsigned DS-64  Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport(also available at the Embassy);
  • Photocopy of lost/stolen passport or other proof of your identity and U.S. citizenship (if available);
  • A new passport photograph that meets the specified requirements;
  • $135 passport application fee for applicants under the age of 16 or $165 passport application fee for applicants over the age of 16 (to be paid in U.S. credit card or U.S. dollars or Nepalese rupee cash);
  • Local police report. It is not needed for U.S. Passport application but needed later for replacing the Nepali visa at Department of Immigration.

 For Damaged or Mutilated Passport:

If your passport has severe damage or mutilated because of wear and tear, an accident, or any other reason, you should make an appointment  to bring it into the Embassy for evaluation and replacement.

If you have urgent travel needs, please call 1-423-4000 or U.S. Embassy Consular Information & Service MS Form, as you may be eligible for an emergency passport.  Emergency services are available on a walk-in basis or by calling 1-423-4000.

Americans who have obtained a new passport from the U.S. Embassy in Kathmandu must have their valid Nepali visa transferred from their previous passport to the new passport through the Government of Nepal Department of Immigration in Kathmandu. You will need to show a local police report before the Department of Immigration will issue you a new visa. For more information about Nepalese immigration rules and regulations, please refer to the Government of Nepal’s Department of Immigration website.