An official website of the United States government

June 4, 2021

Getting Married in Nepal 

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage! Anyone who wishes to marry a Nepali Citizen in Nepal must meet the Government of Nepal’s requirements for a marriage to be legally-binding. Please note that Nepali marriage law and procedure can be complicated. We recommend that you consult an attorney or other expert with specific questions. For the latest information regarding registration of your marriage, please contact the District Court in Kathmandu, telephone no.: 01-4257178.

Nepali law requires anyone who does not hold a Nepali Passport to present an “Affidavit of Eligibility to Marry “to get married.  This affidavit is available at the U.S. Embassy Kathmandu for U.S. Citizens and Legal Permanent Residents of USA. Simply schedule an online appointment. You must present your U.S. passport or Green Card at the time of the appointment. There is a USD $50 fee associated with this notarial service, payable in U.S. dollars, the equivalent in Nepalese rupees, or by credit card. We recommend that you obtain the affidavit shortly before your marriage ceremony. If you wait too long to register your marriage, the district court may ask a second, more recent affidavit.

Registering a Marriage in Nepal 

After you receive an Affidavit of Eligibility to Marry from the U.S. Embassy, and obtain a copy of the marriage law of the state in which you reside in the United States, you can register your marriage with the District Court in Kathmandu or in the district where your marriage takes place. The District Court will also require other documentation such as evidence of your nationality (U.S. passport or permanent resident card), photographs as well as a nominal processing fee.

Living in Nepal after Marriage

American citizens who wish to reside in Nepal after marriage to a Nepali spouse can request a relationship visa from the Nepali Department of Immigration. If a foreign spouse wishes to make just a short visit to the United States, he or she may apply for a non-immigrant B1/B2 tourist visa, but they will need to demonstrate that they meet all of the requirements of that visa. More information is available at https://np.usembassy.gov/visas/nonimmigrant-visas. 

Filing for U.S. Immigration after Marriage

If your foreign spouse plans to live in the United States, you should begin the process for a petition-based immigration visa. Thorough information about “Bringing Spouses to live in the United States as Permanent Residents” is available at https://www.uscis.gov/family/family-us-citizens/spouse/bringing-spouses-live-united-states-permanent-residents.

Petitions are filed in the United States with the U.S. Citizen and Immigration Services (USCIS). After submission, you can get status updates through the “Case Status Online” website at https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus/landing.do. The U.S. Embassy is not involved with the petition approval process and cannot provide advice or updates.

After USCIS approves the petition, it is sent to the National Visa Center (NVC). The NVC will assign a case number for the petition and instruct the applicant or their representative to complete Form DS-261, Choice of Address and Agent. The NVC will begin pre-processing the applicant’s case by providing the applicant and petitioner with instructions to submit the appropriate fees. After the appropriate fees are paid, the NVC will request that the applicant submit the necessary immigrant visa documents, including the Affidavit of Support, application forms, civil documents, and more. Learn more about the NVC at https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/nvc.html. The U.S. Embassy is not involved with NVC processing and cannot provide advice or updates.

Once the NVC determines the file is complete, the applicant, petitioner, attorney, and third-party agent, if applicable, will receive appointment emails or letters containing the date and time of the applicant’s visa interview along with instructions, including guidance for obtaining a medical examination. Applicants should bring their valid passports, as well as any other documentation above not already provided to the NVC, to their visa interviews at the U.S. Embassy. Generally, applicants will receive their original civil documents and original translations back at the time of interview.

The information on this page is just a summary of the detailed information available at https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate.html. You can also find helpful information at the Immigration Visa page of the Embassy website at https://np.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas.