Event: Nationwide political protests are planned from Tuesday, November 20, through Saturday, November 24, 2018. The November 21 and 24 protests will also include mass meetings in Kathmandu. These protests have the potential to result in significant pedestrian and vehicular congestion. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and quickly escalate into violence.
Actions to Take:
- Keep a low profile.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Do not engage in argumentative or combative behavior if challenged or told that you cannot access a certain area.
- Monitor local news stations for updates.
- Maintain a high level of vigilance.
- Take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
- U.S. Embassy Kathmandu
Telephone: +(977)(1) 423-4000 or 400-7200
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(977)(1) 400-7266,400-7269
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Nepal Country Information
- Enroll in Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter