The Regional English Language Office (RELO) collaborates with the U.S. Embassy Public Affairs Sections in Nepal, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Maldives. The English Language Office supports the U.S. Fulbright-Hays Act of 1961, which aims to increase communication and mutual understanding between the people of the United States of America and the people of other countries throughout the world.
To achieve these goals, the RELO advises Posts on English language programming; consults with host country ministries of education, universities, and teacher training organizations; visits local schools and institutions; attends local conferences and seminars; and helps Posts implement Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA) programs, including:
- the English Access Microscholarship Program,
- the English Language Fellow Program,
- the English Language Specialist Program,
- the Online Professional English Network (OPEN) Program,
- educational materials/resources, such as the English Teaching Forum journal.
In addition, the English Language Office often advises and collaborates with:
- the Fulbright Foreign Language Teaching Assistant (FLTA) Program,
- the Fulbright English Teaching Assistant (ETA) Program,
- the Teaching Excellence and Achievement (TEA) Program,
- the Study of the U.S. Summer Institute for Secondary Educators Program,
- the International Visitor and Voluntary Visitor Programs,
- Alumni Exchange Programs,
- local and regional English Language Teacher Associations (e.g., NELTA, SLELTA, BELTA), and
- regional conference organizers and organizations who arrange English language teaching training.
The RELO develops, funds, and implements targeted local programs; supports the development of local teacher’s organizations; and serves as a resource to teachers and other education professionals to strengthen English language instruction in the region.