Location: Nepal, Nationwide
Event: Political factions have called for a nationwide general strike (Bandh) and various protests and torch rallies on February 16, 2022, to protest the Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC) Compact. In the past, such general strikes were accompanied by reports of vandalism, including the torching of vehicles for defying the Bandh. While the location and impact of activities are not known, there is a likelihood of some traffic disruptions occurring throughout Kathmandu, as well as the potential use of crowd control measures by Nepal Police and other security forces.
Actions to Take:
- Limit personal vehicle movements in the Kathmandu Valley to essential travel. If you must drive, use good judgment, common sense, and patience; do not attempt to drive through any crowd.
- Avoid all large gatherings, protests, and demonstrations.
- Report any difficulties or security concerns to police.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Do not engage in argumentative or combative behavior if challenged or told that you cannot go to access a certain area.
- Keep a low profile.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- U.S. Embassy Kathmandu
Telephone: +(977)(1) 423-4000 or 400-7200
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(977)(1) 400-7266,400-7269
- State Department – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Nepal Country Information
- Enroll in Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter
- Nepal Tourist Police Emergency Number: 1144