Location: Pulchowk Area, Lalitpur District
Event: Nepal Police are currently engaging a crowd of approximately 1,000 individuals protesting their inability to participate in the Festival of Rato Machindra Nath. The crowd is violent and throwing rocks, stones, and other debris. The police are deploying tear gas and water cannons.
All U.S. citizens are strongly advised to avoid the area. If you are unable to leave, please immediately find a safe place to shelter. Crowds such as this one can be highly dynamic and shift direction with little notice. The crowd has been dispersed and has reformed at least once already today.
The Embassy anticipates there will be some level of civil disorder and disruption to traffic in the immediate area of Pulchowk for the rest of the day.
Actions to Take:
- Keep a low profile.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Do not engage in argumentative or combative behavior if challenged or told that you cannot go to access a certain area.
- Monitor local news stations for updates.
- Maintain a high level of vigilance.
- Take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
- Use good judgment, common sense, and patience when driving. Do not attempt to drive through any crowd that you might encounter.