Location: Skylark English School and Tokha Municipality Ward 5 Office, Kathmandu
Event: The Regional Security Office of U.S. Embassy Kathmandu has been made aware of a suspected IED found in the street in the vicinity of the Skylark English School in the Tokha neighborhood of Kathmandu approximately 1.5km northwest of the U.S. Embassy.
The road leading to and from the school has been closed by Nepal Police. U.S. citizens are recommended to avoid the immediate vicinity for the foreseeable future.
All individuals and organizations are encouraged to exercise caution when engaged in activities or operations in and around the Skylark English School and the Tokha Municipality Ward 5 Office. Individuals and organizations should be vigilant when securing property and equipment after hours. Should any individual or organization notice a suspicious item or indications of tampering, they are encouraged to notify their nearest Nepal Police facility.
Actions to Take:
- Keep a low profile.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Do not engage in argumentative or combative behavior if challenged or told that you cannot go to access a certain area.
- Monitor local news stations for updates.
- Maintain a high level of vigilance.
- Take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
- Use good judgment, common sense, and patience when driving. Do not attempt to drive through any crowd that you might encounter.
- Given the potential for explosive devices, do not approach suspicious packages. Clear the area and immediately report them to the police.
- If you happen upon a bomb disposal operation, do not stop and watch even if you are outside the cordoned off area. Immediately vacate the area.