Location: Bhatbhetini and Tangal Area in Naxal, Kathmandu
Event: A large crowd of approximately 1,000 protesters gathered and disrupted travel along Tangal Marg Road before midday today. Nepal Police attempted to disrupt the crowd with tear gas and water cannons. At the time of message release, protesting continued.
The Embassy has strongly urged its diplomatic personnel to avoid this area for the near future. If you find yourself in a crowd, seek shelter or attempt to depart the area as quickly as possible.
Actions to Take:
· Keep a low profile.
· Be aware of your surroundings.
· Monitor local media for updates.
· Do not engage in argumentative or combative behavior if challenged or told that you cannot go to access a certain area.
· Monitor local news stations for updates.
· Maintain a high level of vigilance.
· Take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
· Use good judgment, common sense, and patience when driving. Do not attempt to drive through any crowd that you might encounter.
· U.S. Embassy Kathmandu
Telephone: +(977)(1) 423-4000 or 400-7200
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(977)(1) 400-7266,400-7269