An official website of the United States government

Notarial services are available for all nationalities by appointment

Operating Status During COVID-19 Crisis

Due to the Government of Nepal lock down in Kathmandu and the implementation of U.S. and international health guidelines regarding the opening of facilities, limited appointments for passport, consular report of birth abroad (CRBA), and notarial services


Hand signing document

Updated: February 17, 2021.

Local notarial services are widely available in Nepal. The Embassy does not recommend specific notaries. Learn more on the Nepal Notary Public Council website.

American citizens, Legal Permanent residents, and foreign nationals often require the services of an official U.S. notary public. The Embassy currently provides limited notarial services to citizens and non-citizens on Tuesdays and Thursdays. It is necessary to schedule an online appointment for any notarial service.  Please do not sign up for this service unless you are requesting a notary.  If you are seeking other services or have a visa question, please refer to the appropriate section in our website.  By scheduling a notary appointment, you will be taking a limited appointment slot away from a person who needs this service.

Please Note:  The Embassy follows CDC and Nepali government guidelines regarding COVID precautions.  Accordingly, appointments for services will not be accepted until the required quarantine period for international arrivals to Nepal has been completed.  

The fee for notarial services is $50 for each consular signature. Consult with the consular officer to determine how fees will be calculated with respect to your specific document. Fees may be paid by U.S. credit card or in cash (either U.S. dollars or Nepalese rupees).

Bring a passport or other government-issued photo identification that includes your signature.

Most common forms are available at the Embassy. If you have your own legal document to sign, do not sign it before the appointment.


Nepali law requires foreign citizens who marry in Nepal to present an “Affidavit of Eligibility to Marry.” Lawful permanent residents (Green Card holders) who do not have a Nepali citizenship card may also find this form useful. The affidavit is available from the Embassy by scheduling an online appointment. Pay the $50 fee and present your U.S. passport or Green Card at the time of the appointment. We recommend you take the affidavit shortly before your marriage ceremony and register your marriage soon after. If you wait too long to register, you may find that local officials ask you to get a new affidavit. Individuals who have been previously married may be asked to present a legal divorce decree or their spouse’s death certificate.  You may also need to submit the marriage law of the state you reside.  You can search the internet to obtain your applicable marriage law.


Please note: The Department of Transportation (DOT), Nepal has currently halted the conversion process of International driver’s license into Nepali driver’s license.  The international driver’s license holder must go through the regular process of getting Nepali driver’s license. For detailed information, please see: https://www.dotm.gov.np/. American Citizens can make a direct inquiry about current requirements by calling DOT at 01-4474921; 01-5193173.

Nepali law requires that any driver – including U.S. citizens – have a valid Nepali driver’s license in order to legally operate a motor vehicle in Nepal. The Nepali Department of Transportation will issue a Nepali driver’s license based on a valid U.S. state-issued or international driver’s license, if you also present a “U.S. Driver’s License Affidavit.” This form is available from the Embassy if you make an online appointment. Pay the $50 fee and present your valid license at the time of the appointment. After the affidavit is notarized, present it with your license at any Department of Transportation office that processes driver’s licenses, currently Ekantakuna (Lalitpur), Chabahil (Kathmandu), Jagati (Bhaktapur), and Thulo Bharyang (Swayambhu). You will be required to take an eye examination, but you will be exempted from the written exam and driving test based on your valid U.S. driver’s license.
Updated: November 10, 2020.Scales, Seal, Pen


The Embassy can make certified true copies of documents for use in the United States. A certified true copy includes a notarial stamp certifying that the photocopy is a genuine copy. It does not, however, certify that the original document is genuine. One common example is a request for a certified true copy of a Nepalese citizen’s passport for submission with Form W-7 to obtain an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).  Make an online appointment, pay the $50 fee, and present the original document to be photocopied at the time of the interview.  Please note that the Embassy generally does not provide certified true copies for documents that will be submitted to Nepalese government authorities.


Local residents are sometimes asked to serve notice of divorce or other court proceedings pending in the United States to friends, relatives, or even strangers living in Nepal.  Judicial notice of proceedings is an important component of due process and the consular officer must be convinced of proper service of papers.  You may be asked to present the notified party or provide other proof of actual delivery.


When a minor under the age of 16 applies for a U.S. passport and one or both of the minor’s parents or legal guardians are unavailable at the time the passport application will be executed, the unavailable parent should complete a DS-3053 Statement of Consent and sign it in front of a notary. If the unavailable parent is in Nepal, he or she can make an online appointment to complete this form at the Embassy for free.  The notarized DS-3053 should then be submitted along with the minor’s DS-11 passport application.


A variety of legal documents can be notarized at the Embassy, including letters, financial forms, power of attorney documents, and real estate transaction paperwork. Please read and make sure you understand the documents you will sign. Bring all documents fully assembled and ready for signature, including instructions from the end user in the relevant jurisdiction. The Embassy cannot provide legal advice documents or their preparation. If a document requires witnesses, you must bring your own witnesses, each of whom must present photo identification.


If you need to fully authenticate a foreign government document for official use in the United States, you will need to go through a lengthy authentication process.  In general, the first step is to contact the institution that issued the original document.  They will notarize the document as authentic or provide additional instructions.  Second, contact the Nepali Ministry of Foreign Affair’s Department of Consular Services, which will verify the initial authentication.  The Embassy will be the final step of the process, confirming the MOFA verification.


The Embassy cannot on its own authenticate a U.S. government document for official use in Nepal.  If you need to fully authenticate a document, you will need to go through a lengthy authentication process.  In general, the first step is to contact the institution that issued the original document.  The source institution will notarize the document as authentic or provide additional instructions.  Second, an official in the relevant state capitol will authenticate the local signature.  Third, an officer in the State Department’s Office of Authentications will authenticate the state-level signature.  Fourth, an official at the Nepali Embassy in Washington D.C. will authenticate the State Department signature.  Finally, it may also be necessary to have the Nepali Ministry of Foreign Affairs verify the Nepali Embassy authentication. Please note that Nepal is not party to the Hague Apostille Convention.


Consular officers cannot authenticate or certify copies of foreign academic credentials for use in the United States.  Similarly, consular officers cannot authenticate U.S. academic credentials for use overseas.  A detailed explanation and full instructions are available on the State Department’s Authentication of American Academic Credentials for Use Abroad page.


The Embassy cannot provide copies of U.S. vital records, write “No Objection Letters,” affix an apostille to a document, certify translations, perform a Medallion Signature Guarantee, or facilitate a criminal background check.  Please direct inquiries about notarial services to consktm@state.gov. 

“No Objection” Letters 

American citizens conducting routine business in Nepal are sometimes asked to present a “Letter of Introduction” or “No Objection Letter” from the Embassy.  These requests are common, for example, when a U.S. citizen tries to buy a vehicle in Nepal or apply for a visa to a third country.  Please note that the Embassy does not issue individual letters and Embassy permission is not, in reality, required for these purposes.

The Embassy has notified the Government of Nepal of this policy through an official diplomatic note.  American citizens may print this document (see sidebar) and present it to the authority that has requested a letter.  The citizen may also print this page of the Embassy website.  This information may help the authorities to understand the Embassy’s policy against the issuance of such letters.

American citizens who require a “No Objection” letter in order to register a local marriage should make an online appointment to sign an “Affidavit for Eligibility to Marry.”  Citizens are always welcome to make a notarial appointment to sign a self-serving affidavit before a notary at the Embassy.  We have both common affidavits and blank templates available.  An affidavit – a formal legal document on Embassy letterhead with signature and seal – may prove helpful in a variety of settings.

Please email us at consktm@state.gov if you have any questions or concerns about “No Objection” letters.

Check out these recommendations for you