Congratulations for your newly born child!

After you review the information on this page, you are welcome to make an online appointment to report the birth abroad of a child of a U.S. citizen. By understanding the requirements, you can be better prepared for your interview and avoid delays or unnecessary trips to the embassy.

Most children born abroad after their biological parent(s) became U.S. Citizen and have their physical presence in the United States for at least 5 years or more are eligible to be documented as a U.S. citizen. The start of the process is a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) application, a formal determination that results in a certificate stating that the child is a U.S. citizen at birth. Learn more about Transmitting Citizenship and Claiming U.S. Citizenship.

Most CRBA applicants also submit applications for a U.S. passport for a minor at the same time. We have copies of all required forms at the Embassy, but by referring the Pictorial Checklist for CRBA and Passport applications (PDF 2MB), you can prepare the applications and civil documents beforehand to present during your appointment.

Passports are generally ready for pick-up from the Embassy in two weeks. The CRBA certificate is generally ready in the same amount of time, but periodically takes longer. After you have received your child’s passport and CRBA certificate, you can apply for a Social Security card. This process is most easily completed in the United States, but you can also forward certified copies of the application form (SS-5-FS) and required documentation to the nearest regional office in Manila, Philippines. Please note that the SS-5 must be signed and fully completed, including a U.S. mailing address on line 16.  U.S. Embassy Kathmandu can provide certified copies of required documents to submit the SS-5 application. To learn more, visit the SSA’s Office of International Programs home page or email .

Note that the child and both parents must appear in person for the interview. You must email in advance if one or both parents are unable to appear for the interview, as additional documentation is required. Refer to the CRBA Checklist (PDF 2MB).

Prepare the following documents to apply for Consular Report of Birth Abroad for your child:

Completed Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad form (DS-2029).  In section 24 of DS-2029, list detail periods and places of U.S. Citizen Parent’s physical presence and residency in the United States prior to the child’s birth. If the U.S. Citizen parent(s) is unable to attend the appointment in person, he/she must complete the application and sign it in front of a Notary public in U.S. or at a U.S. Embassy. A local overseas notary is not acceptable.  Send the original DS-2029 to be presented during the interview.

Completed (but unsigned) Application for a U.S. Passport DS-11 form.

If one or both parents are unavailable to attend the appointment in person, he /she must complete form DS-3053 Statement of Consent.  Sign it in front of a Notary Public in the U.S. or at a U.S. Embassy.  A local overseas notary is not acceptable.  Send the original DS-3053 and a photocopy of the government issued photo identification used in the notarial service to be presented during the interview.

One recent color photograph (2 inches by 2 inches) with white background.  The child must be facing forward with his/her head and eyes clearly visible.  A photo of a baby with eyes closed is acceptable.

Child’s original hospital-issued birth certificate (in Nepal, this document oftentimes does not include the child’s name).  Child’s original Schedule 12 birth registration certificate issued by the local registrar office in each ward office in the municipality or in the Village Development Committee.

Evidence of U.S. citizen parent’s physical presence/residency in USA for 5 years before the child was born.  The evidence may include the following documents:

  • Clear and organized entry and exit stamps of travel history in present and old passports, including the first trip to the U.S.
  • School records
  • Rental leases
  • Property deeds
  • Automobile registration
  • Professional licenses
  • Vaccination or other medical records
  • Utility bills
  • Employment records
  • Official school transcripts
  • Military records
  • W2/Salary paystubs
  • Birth certificates for U.S.-born children
  • Parent’s photo identification as proof of identity and citizenship (preferably passports).
  • Parents’ original marriage certificate (if applicable).
  • Divorce decree/death certificates for any previous marriages (if applicable).
  • Court documents (if applicable).

Applications must be signed in the presence of a Consular Officer.

If additional documentation is required while adjudicating application, it will be requested during the interview.  Additional documentation must be received within ninety (90) days from the day application was submitted.  If the information is not received or is insufficient to establish entitlement to a U.S. citizenship document, the application may be denied and the original documents will be returned.

By law, the passport execution and application fees are non-refundable and payable by U.S. credit card, U.S. cash, or Nepalese rupees.

$100 Consular Report of Birth Abroad application fee
$115 passport application fee 

If you were previously issued a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, you can request a replacement copy.

Please email if you have any additional questions.

(Updated August 2019)