If you have never applied for a U.S. passport in your own name, AND if you have been issued one of the below documents, then you may be eligible to come to the U.S. Embassy’s Consular Section and apply for a U.S. passport. It is necessary to schedule an online appointment for this service (Applying for your first U.S. Passport).
If you are no longer in possession of the original document stated below, you must obtain a certified copy from the issuing authority before submitting your application.
- U.S. Birth Certificate (for certified copies, please contact the state in which you were born); or
- U.S. Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) (for certified copies, please contact the Passport Services Office at the Department of State); or
- U.S. Certification of Birth (Form FS-545 or DS-1330) (for certified copies, please contact the Passport Services Office at the Department of State);
- U.S. Certificate of Citizenship (for certified copies, please contact the U.S. Citizenship and ImmigrationServices);
- U.S. Naturalization Certificate (for certified copies, please contact the U.S. Citizenship and ImmigrationServices);
- A passport of your U.S. citizen parent(s) in which you are included (for a copy of your parents’ passport records, please contact the Passport Services Department at the Department of State)
Note: If you are applying for the first passport for a child under the age of 18 who was born overseas, you must first report the child’s birth. You may apply for the child’s first passport at the same time.
To apply for your U.S. passport, please bring the following documents to your appointment:
- Completed but unsigned passport application form DS-11
- Proof of U.S. citizenship:
- U.S. Birth Certificate; or
- U.S. Consular Report of Birth Abroad; or
- U.S. Certification of Birth; or
- U.S. Certification of Citizenship; or
- U.S. Naturalization Certificate; or
- a passport of U.S. citizen parent(s);
- Your original, long-form birth certificate: if your proof of citizenship is the U.S. passport of a parent in which you are included;
- Proof of identity:
- valid passport of any country; or
- valid driver’s license with photograph; or
- National identity card with photograph; or
- Valid U.S. or State government ID card; or
- U.S. military ID card; or
- If you do not have any personal identification it will be necessary for you to be accompanied by a family member (mother/father/brother/sister) over the age of 18 with a valid passport, preferably U.S., who will be required to make a sworn statement identifying you. Any foreign passports that you may currently hold or were included in; Your foreign (non-U.S.) naturalization certificate: If you have acquired another nationality through naturalization or registration since the issuance of your proof of citizenship; Documentary proof of name change, if applicable;
Two identical passport photographs: The Embassy will reject any photographs that do not meet the specified requirements.
$115 passport application fee for applicants under the age of 16, or $145 passport application fee for applicants over the age of 16 (to be paid by U.S. credit card or in U.S. dollars or Nepalese rupee cash).