Lost, Stolen, or Mutilated Passport Replacement

Normal Consular Section Hours for Non-Emergency American Citizen Services

The American Citizen Services unit is open by appointment only for non-emergency services. Emergency services will continue to be available on a walk-in basis or by calling 1-423-4000. Appointments are available for services on the following schedule (except on local and American holidays):

Tuesday 1:00-3:00 pm  Monday 1:00-3:00 pm Tuesday 1:00-3:00 pm
Thursday 1:00-3:00 pm
 Friday 1:00-3:00 pm

You can view the appointment schedule and make an appointment at http://go.usa.gov/Yjc. Please Note: You will not be able to see your appointment date and time after you leave the webpage. Please make note of your appointment date and time when you schedule the appointment. 

Replacing a Lost or Stolen Passport

If your U.S. passport has been lost or stolen, you should immediately report it at the nearest local police station. If you think you know where your passport was lost or stolen (in a hotel, airport, bus station, etc), you should report the loss there, as well. After you have filed the report, you must make an appointment with the U.S. Embassy’s Consular Section during Passport Services hours to apply for your replacement passport. Because passports are printed in the United States, it will take two to three weeks for your new passport to arrive. If you have urgent travel needs, please call 1-423-4000 or email consktm@state.gov, as you may be eligible for an emergency passport.

If your passport was lost or stolen, please also bring with you:

  • Completed but unsigned DS-11 passport application (also available at the Embassy)
  • Completed but unsigned DS-64 Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport (also available at the Embassy)
  • Photocopy of lost/stolen passport or other proof of your identity and U.S. citizenship (if available)
  • A new passport photographs that meets the specified requirements
  • $115 passport application fee for applicants under the age of 16 or $145 passport application fee for applicants over the age of 16 (to be paid in U.S. credit card or U.S. dollars or Nepalese rupee cash)
  • Local police report

Americans who have obtained a new passport from the U.S. Embassy in Kathmandu must have their valid Nepali visa transferred from their previous passport to the new passport through the Government of Nepal Department of Immigration in Kathmandu. You will need to show a local police report before the Department of Immigration will issue you a new visa. For more information about Nepalese immigration rules and regulations, please refer to the Government of Nepal’s Department of Immigration website.

If your passport has severe damage because of wear and tear, an accident, or any other reason, you should make an appointment to bring it into the Embassy for evaluation and replacement.