Name Change in your Passport

Please note that U.S. passports cannot be amended to change information that appears on the biodata page of your passport. If you have legally changed your name, you will need to apply for a new passport under your new name.

If your passport was issued more than 12 months ago, follow the instructions for routine passport renewal. You must make a passport appointment and pay for a new passport application.

If your passport was issued less than a year ago, please make a passport appointment. Bring your current U.S. passport, a completed but unsigned passport application form DS-5504, an original marriage certificate or court order showing the legal change of name, and one new photo meeting the specified requirements. There is no fee for this service.