Renew a Child Passport

Please note: U.S. law now requires you to provide your or your child’s Social Security number, if you have one, when you apply for a U.S. passport or renewal of a U.S. passport. If you submit an application for a U.S. passport and do not provide a Social Security number, if you have one, you will encounter a delay with the processing and/or denial of your passport application. Contact the Social Security Administration for information about obtaining a new or replacement Social Security number and card. You may also contact your closest Social Security office. For residents of Nepal, the closest Social Security office is located in Manila, Philippines.

If you are at least 16 years old but have not yet turned 18, and you are able to submit your most recent passport with your application, please bring to the Consular Section of the Embassy:Completed but unsigned passport application form DS-11;

  • Your most recent U.S. passport;
  • One of your parents (or a legal guardian) and his/her valid U.S. or  foreign passport;
  • Documentary proof of name change, if applicable;
  • One passport photograph: The Embassy will reject any photographs that do not meet the specified requirements.
  • $145 passport application fee(to be paid in U.S. dollars or Nepalese rupee).

If you are under the age of 16, and you are able to submit your most recent passport with your application, please bring to the Consular Section of the Embassy:

  • Completed but unsigned passport application form DS-11.
  • Your most recent U.S. passport (children whose passports were issued when they were younger than five years old should present photos showing age progression from the time of their last passport issuance until the present) and any foreign passport(s) you may have.
  • One passport photograph:The Embassy will reject any photographs that do not meet the specified requirements.
  • $115 passport application fee(to be paid in cash in U.S. dollars or Nepalese rupee). 

Two Parent Consent

All children under the age of 16 are required to appear at the Embassy with both parents for all passport services, who must submit with their child’s application:

Parents’ photo identification: Parents accompanying their child to the Embassy must submit their valid U.S. or foreign passport. These will be returned at the time of the appointment.

  • Proof of parental relationship:
    • Certified U.S. state birth certificate (either vital statistics or Department of Health) with parents’ names; or
    • Certified foreign birth certificate (with parents’ names and translation, if necessary);or
    • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) (with parents’ names); or
    • Certificate of Birth Abroad (Form DS-1350) (with parents’ names); or
    • Adoption decree (with adopting parents’ names) together with amended U.S. state birth certificate listing adoptive parents names; or
    • Court Order establishing custody or guardianship. 

Note: If your last name is not the same as your child’s or as the name listed on your proof of parentage, you much submit documentation that links your names or links you to the child (marriage/divorce certificate, court order).

Application by One Parent

If only one parent is able to appear with the child to apply for the passport, one of the following will be required in addition to the above requirements:

  • Statement of Consent Form DS-3053: Submit this form if you are the non-applying parent or guardian providing written consent for your minor child to apply for a U.S. passport because you are unable to appear in person with your child (Statement of Consent). The form DS-3053 must be completed and signed by a Notary Public in the USA or at a U.S. Embassy overseas. A local overseas notary is not acceptable.  We accept only original DS-3053.
  • Statement of Consent Form DS-5525: Submit this form if you are the applying parent or guardian, and the written consent of the non-applying parent or guardian cannot be obtained (Statement of Exigent Special Family Circumstances).

In addition to one of the forms listed above, the non-applying parent(s) must submit the copy of photo identification presented in front of the Notary Public.

Submit evidence of the appearing parent’s sole authority of the child for the passport, in one of the following forms:

  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) or Certification of Birth Abroad (Form DS-1350) listing only applying parent; or
  • Child’s birth certificate listing only the applying parent; or
  • Adoption decree (if applying parent is sole adopting parent); or
  • Court order granting sole legal and physical custody to the applying parent (child’s travel must not be restricted by that order); or
  • Judicial declaration of incompetence of non-applying parent; or
  • Death certificate of non-applying parent. Present photo identification of deceased parent and pictures with the child (if applicable).