Lost or Stolen Green Cards and Re-entry Permits

Lawful Permanent Residents (LPRs) who have been outside the United States for less than one year and whose green cards have been lost, stolen, or mutilated during your time outside the United States, may apply for a boarding foil.

In order to apply for a boarding foil,  you must schedule an interview at the U.S. Embassy Nepal.  Please send an email requesting an interview appointment to consktm@state.gov.  Following a thorough review and interview, a Consular Officer will determine whether you are eligible for a boarding foil.  Please bring the following documents/information to your appointment.

  • Completed Form I-131A
  • The USCIS Fee Receipt – You must pay the filing fee online through the USCIS website before appearing in person.  See:  https://my.uscis.gov/travel-document Bring evidence of the payment, in the form of a printed email receipt notice or confirmation page, when you apply in person to file Form I-131A.   As with all immigration fees, USCIS does not issue refunds, regarding of the decision on the application.
  • A valid passport
  • Two recent color photographs.  The photographs must be 2 inches x 2 inches (5 cm x 5 cm) in size, with no head covering, and showing a full, front-face view against a white background, without earrings or eyeglasses
  • A copy of your green card, if available, or your alien registration number (A number)
  • Airline ticket specifying date of travel, if you have one

There is no fee for this service at the Consular section.  The fee has to be paid to USCIS.  The boarding foil is normally valid for one month and for one entry into the United States.  Once you arrive in the United States, you will need to file an application for a replacement card (Form I-90) with USCIS.  For further information check USICS

Boarding Foils for Conditional Residents:

LPRs under conditional status may apply for a boarding foil:
If the conditional residency status is within the 2-year validity
If the conditional residency status has expired and an application to remove conditions of residence has been filed. For this, please present the Form I-797, Receipt Notice from USCIS.

You do not need a Boarding foil if and can travel back to the U.S if:

You are in possession of an expired Permanent Resident Card with a 10-year expiration date, or have a valid Permanent Resident Card (with a two-year validity), and a Form I-797, Notice of Action, indicating that status is extended.

The ADIT Stamp in your passport is still valid.